All you need to know to prepare for Irish College
All relevant information to help you prepare for your trip to the Gaeltacht.
Terms & Conditions
Céad Fáilte romhat go dtí Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne.
We look forward to welcoming you on our Irish language courses in the heart of Gaeltacht Chorca Dhuibhne!
Please find our terms that govern all of our bookings and operations.
We are happy to answer any queries you may have regarding our courses.
By using or visiting the site, you expressly agree to be bound by these terms and to follow these terms and all applicable laws and regulations governing the website.
Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne reserves the right to change these terms at any time, therefore please check this page of the website periodically.
Course booking and fees
A deposit of €250 will be required when submitting your application form.
A course place is only confirmed on receipt of a course reference number (uimhir thagartha). You will receive your reference number via email once you have securely submitted your booking. Please quote this reference number in any correspondence with Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne.
The balance of the course fee is payable 6 weeks prior to the course start date. Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne reserves the right to treat a booking as cancelled due to non-payment of the balance by the due date and, in that event, the deposit as already paid shall be forfeited in full and no refund of deposit shall be paid.
There is a €35 per student family discount for siblings attending Coláistí Chorca Dhuibne in the same calendar year.
Scholarships and Part Scholarships are only valid for the current year’s courses.
The value of the scholarship or part scholarship voucher will be credited off the balance due, once Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne receive written confirmation of the scholarship
Fees paid for the course are broken down into college preparation costs that occur prior to course starting, and delivery costs.
Once a booking is made a portion of the fees paid are expended on the preparation costs by the college in planning the course, this is what the administration fee relates to, as mentioned in the cancellation policy above.
- Booking system fee: €4
- Course Preparation fee (administration fee) €60
- Course delivery fee: Varies per cours
Fees are not inclusive of: travel to/from Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne, day trips during the course, course hoodies, tuck shop, antigen test (if applicable) and a tour during the course.
All course fees are based on current guidelines as issued by Roinn Turasóireachta, Cultúir, Ealaíon Gaeltachta, Spóirt agus Meán as of 19/08/2021.
While every effort is made to honour the course fee listed at your time of booking, please be aware that a surcharge may be applied based on increasing course costs.
Customers will be notified by email of any course fee increases.
The Committee does not believe in having a long list of rules which students must obey. There are a few simple rules and it is requested that these be brought to the student’s attention before coming to the Gaeltacht. Contravention of these rules will result in the student being sent home from the course and forfeiting the course fee.
- Students must speak Irish at all times.
- All students must follow instructions received from course personnel.
- All students must return to their houses from the céilí at the appointed time and are not permitted to leave thereafter. This also applies to students taken out for the day or part of the day by Parents/Guardians.
- Possession or use of tobacco, alcoholic drink or addictive substances is prohibited at all time during the course and this includes in the accommodation provided. Students are not allowed to enter a licensed premise.
- Students must comply with the rules of the road while walking. Please ensure your child brings a high visibility jacket.
- The use of mobile phones will be restricted to one hour after dinner each evening.
- No aerosol deodorants, or heated hair stylers are permitted.
- Fake tan products are not permitted.
This is available upon written request.
- The balance of the course fee is payable 6 weeks prior to the course start date. Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne reserves the right to treat a booking as cancelled due to non-payment of the balance by the due date and, in that event, the deposit as already paid shall be forfeited in full and no refund of deposit shall be paid.
- In the event of a cancellation by or on behalf of a student, in writing, up to 6 weeks prior to the course start date, a full refund shall issue, minus an administration cost of €60. (The administration cost refers to processing of bookings, preparation of course, works carried out in course venue and delivery of course).
- An administration charge of €60 will apply to all cancellations processed.
- Places are reserved on first come first served basis and in the case where we have to reduce the numbers on a course last in and first out will apply. This procedure shall apply in the event that a directive or guide is issued whereby the number of students currently allowed to attend a course must be reduced due to Covid-19 restrictions, or if our accommodation capacity reduces due too the unavailability of a Bean an Tí.
- Course cancellations due to Covid-19, or any other extraordinary events outside of the control of Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne, and/or on the advice of a third party, or advisory body will result in a refund of fees paid, minus an administration fee of €60.
- Should a student need to cancel due to Covid-19 symptoms prior to arriving at the college, a full refund will issue, less €60 administration fee, upon providence of a doctor’s certificate.
- These terms are based on the guidelines issued to our colleges by all relevant Government Departments, up to the 19/08/2022. Should these guidelines change, it will be necessary to assess the costs of operating the course and if the changes are significant, resulting in the number of students per course having to be reduced significantly or whereby significant further measurers will need to be put in place to adhere to guidelines at significant cost, we reserve our position in respect of amending the fees as previously outlined or cancelling the course entirely. Written notification to each student of any such cancellation of the course entirely, or alteration to the fees payable in respect of the course, will be made at the earliest available opportunity. As the situation is fluid with covid and rule changes are common we will only really be in a position to advise of any changes closer to the course commencement date.
Due to the ever changing developments associated with Covid-19, assessment on course costing, and course capacity guidelines will take place closer to the course start date.
This is a working document and will be subject to review and change as more information becomes available.
Course options for children
Campus courses are run as a self-contained course on the grounds of Coláiste Íde boarding school.
These courses are suitable for pre junior Cert, and primary school children.
Bean an Tí courses:
Students who choose to attend a Bean an Tí course will stay in a private residence with a local family.
These houses are located throughout the Dingle Peninsula.
These courses are suitable for pre leaving cert, pre junior cert, and primary school children.
Located on the grounds of Coláiste Íde secondary school, this course option offers students accommodation, meals, classes and activates all within the grounds of the estate.
Students who choose a Campus accommodation course will not mix with students attending a Bean an Tí course.
Accommodation is arranged according to gender, age and friendship groups in our campus accommodation.
The accommodation is fully supervised at all times, with staff residing on campus for the duration of the course.
(Click here to book a Campus accommodation course)
Bean an Tí Accommodation:
Our bean an Tí houses are all private residential houses. Therefore, they differ in size, and in their number of bedrooms.
Our accommodation is arranged according to gender, age, and friendship requests.
Students attending a course on their own will be accommodated according to their age, and gender. We try our best to accommodate solo students with other students attending alone.
We ask that a friendship group be kept as close to three people as possible.
If there is a particular house that you would like your child to stay in, please let our accommodation officer know.
We will try our best to facilitate all requests, or arrange a suitable alternative.
You will be informed of your course centre two weeks before the course begins, and you will be given your house details upon arrival at course check in.
- Our accommodation policy is based upon guidelines from An Roinn Turasóireachta, Cultúir, Ealaíon, Gaeltachta, Spóirt agus Meán.
- Comprehensive cleaning and disinfecting of all students’ bedrooms and bathrooms will be insured prior to their arrival.
- Extra attention will be given to all touch points throughout the rooms.
- Non-essential items have been removed from our bedrooms so we can ensure the highest levels of cleanliness.
- All our linens will be handled with extreme care to prevent potential contamination.
- Any damage caused in your accommodation, or on the college grounds will be charged accordingly.
*This will include staining caused by cosmetic products to bedding and towels.
Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne reserve the right to refuse any application and cannot guarantee accommodation of preference
(Click here to book a Bean an Tí residential course)
West Kerry Peninsula is a rural area; therefore, we divide our courses into five centres.
Our centres are located in:
Baile an Fheirtéaraigh, Ceann Trá, Feothanach, Minaird, and Muiríoch.
Students are placed in these centres according to their age, school level, and the centres in use for each course.
If you have a preference as to which centre you would like your child to be placed in, let us know.
We will do our best to facilitate requests, or arrange a suitable alternative.
You Bean an Tí will allocate bedrooms upon your arrival at the house.
Travel, and check in:
You will receive an email two weeks before your course start date with your centres Eircode, and public transport options.
Check in for those arriving by car is between 3-5pm, at your allocated centre.
It is also recommended that groups of friends’ co-ordinates their travel arrangements between each other to economise on journeys.
For those students and parents who are not able to organise drop off or pick up by car, public transport is available from Tralee bus station. Details of connecting buses and trains to Tralee can be found on the relevant websites.
Subject to demand and viability, Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne will arrange a coach to and from Tralee at an estimated cost of €25 return (€15 one-way).
Details on this bus will be fixed two weeks prior to course commencement
In the lead up to your course, you can contact our office with any questions you may have.
For the duration of the course, you will have access to your course Príomhóide.
0669156100 (9am- 5pm, Mon- Fri)
eolas@colaiste (9am- 5pm, Mon- Fri; unless urgent)
you will receive this contact in your pre course email.
- Afternoon activities
- Evening meal
- Evening activity
Our courses are directed at primary, pre junior cert, and pre leaving cert levels.
Students are assessed informally upon arrival, and are placed in their appropriate class.
Classes focus on gramadach, conversation and the active language.
Afternoon activities include:
Beach, field sports, day trips, water-based activities, and the arts.
Traditional céilí, talent show, disco, *themed céilí nights.
* These themed céilís are organised by the course principal, and themes vary. Some examples include:
Black and white
We would appreciate information on any health problems which a student may have. Advice given to us will be followed. A Doctor is available at all times but the College will not be responsible for the cost of prescriptions or hospitalisation. Parents will be invoiced for doctor’s fees. We would appreciate that your child has information regarding medical card/health insurance details to cover costs the student may incur during his/her stay in the Gaeltacht.
Bicycles are not recommended.
Heated styling irons
These items are strictly forbidden.
All students are required to wear a high visibility jacket while walking on the road.
Students will be accompanied by a course ceannaire on their journeys to and from their accommodation.
It is our policy that the use of mobile phones be limited to one hour per day, in the evening. There is a three-day confiscation rule for any student using a phone outside of allotted time. We request that all cameras and recording devices be covered prior to arrival, in keeping with Child Protection Guidelines.
Second phones are completely prohibited. In the case that a second phone is found on your person it will be confiscated for the duration of the course.
Should your child need to contact home outside of the allocated hour, they can do so through the Principal/Bean an Tí.
We would appreciate your full co-operation on this matter.
Pocket money is a personal matter. There is a small shop in each centre where students may purchase drinks and snacks.
Students travelling by public transport should ensure that they have enough to cover the cost of their return ticket.
During the course students will go on two day trips, one will be a bus tour around Slea head and the other will be a day trip to Dingle town. These costs are not included in the cost of fees, they will cost approx. €30 in total and will be added to your bill.
Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne hoodies are also available for purchase at a cost of €40.
Bean an Tí will wash the student’s clothes for the duration of their stay at the College. Students staying at Coláiste Íde will avail of a launderette facility free of charge.
Please ensure your child has a machine friendly laundry bag.
Parents/Guardians/Families are welcome to visit on Sunday’s, generally after 11am.
Written notice must be given to your course principal before 4pm on Friday if you are due to visit your child at the weekend. A text message to the principal phone number will be satisfactory.
Visiting hours will be subject to Covid-19 guidelines and best practice in the interest of child welfare, health and safety during the course.
Students are encouraged to bring musical instruments during the course.
All information is also available on our website. The facility to carry out payments online is also available www.colaiste.ie
Students not completing courses
All course refunds are at the discretion of Coláistí Chorca Dhuibhne Teo.